Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Update 2: Death of Morgan Killen

I received several replies from the queries I put out about Morgan Killen'd death. Most said they had information, but didn't know where it was right now. One was from Mitzi Mullins Smith who invited me to join her family website on Mullins and Killens. I started this search through Annie Potter and John Vint Bentley's daughter, Delaney Elizabeth and her marriage to Morgan Killen. Now I had Mullins who were related to the Killens.

On Mitzi's website I found a picture of Elizabeth & Morgan Killen, one of Morgan with his children and an article which was from an unnamed newspaper. Mitzi has given me permission to use those items to write this update and to use any of the information I find on her website which will help in writing blogs about our family. She also invited any of our family who have an interest in the Mullins or Killen family lines to email her at MitziMS@myfamily.com or mitzinay@yahoo.com to be invited to join her website.

Morgan Killen married Delany Elizabeth Bentley, the daughter of John Vint and Anna Potter Bentley. He was killed by his son, Alexander in 1929. Alexander went to prison for the shooting and was later pardoned. This news article gives an update. I transcribed it because the print was light and might have been difficult to read. If anyone wants a copy of it, email me and I will send the picture file of the article.



ALEX KILLINGS IS GRANTED FREEDOM
CONVICTED HERE IN 1930 IN DEATH OF FATHER YEARS AGO


Alex Killings, convicted in circuit court here in 1930 and given a ten year sentence for the fatal shooting of his father, Morgan Killings, several years ago, was released from prison Saturday by Acting Governor A. B. Chandler. In releasing Killings, the official stated the record showed that the shooting may have been accidental as it was claimed Alex was attempting to take a pistol from his father who, it was said, intended to shoot another man.

Following the shooting, Alex Killings fled but returned for trial two years ago.
In her email to me Mitzi also said that "The story that I heard was that he shot Morgan over a woman, family members (over the years he spent in prison) finally convinced them that when Morgan was shot it was accidental."


This is Morgan Killen & Delaney Elizabeth Bentley:

Morgan Killen and his family:

Row 1 Morgan, Alex

Row 2: Lola, Bertha and Fronia, daughters.


5/7/08 In case you are not looking at the comments, one of Morgan's great grandchldren left this information about the death:
"My grandfather was Melvin Killen, son of Morgan Killen, of Payne Gap, Ky. My dad was Wesley Killen, son of Melvin. I have heard two or three versions of Morgan's death. My sister talked to Grandpa before he died and he said the shooting was accidental. He and his brother, Columbus, found out Alexander had TB while in prison and got a petition signed to ask for his release."

1 comment:

  1. My grandfather was Melvin Killen, son of Morgan Killen, of Payne Gap, Ky. My dad was Wesley Killen, son of Melvin. I have heard two or three versions of Morgan's death. My sister talked to Grandpa before he died and he said the shooting was accidental. He and his brother, Columbus, found out Alexander had TB while in prison and got a petition signed to ask for his release.

    ReplyDelete