Saturday, August 30, 2008

Grandma Rosie Part 2

When I published that picture of Grandma Rosie on August 20th, I also sent it to Johnny Fulton, her grandson. He is retired and lives in Memphis, Tennesse. I met him through emails with another of Rosie's relatives, Will Buntin, as they prepared for the Fulton Family reunion.

Johnny and his family were neighbors and friends of my grandparents family. He called my grandmother Aunt Cora. There has always been a connection between the families. Johnny was in my mother's class in high school.

Johnny and I  have been corresponding since that chance meeting with Will online. He has been sending me stories about his life and his family -- some of which I hope he will allow me to share on this blog.

He told me a little bit about Grandma Rosie after receiving the picture of her on the horse. Here is what he wrote about the picture:



  • GRANDMA ROSIE ON A HORSE IS ANOTHER STORY. THAT PICTURE WAS PROBABLY MADE IN 1930 SOME TIME DURING THE DEPRESSION. ROSIE LIVED ON MILLSTONE AND SHE AND JOSHUA WERE FARMERS. THEY HAD NO OTHER INCOME THAN WHAT THEIR FARM PROVIDED AND ROSIE MADE A WEEKLY TRIP TO HEMPHILL, ON HER HORSE, PEDDLING MILK AND BUTTER AND SOME PRODUCE. THAT LITTLE EXTRA CASH GOT HER AND HER FAMILY THRU THE DEPRESSION. I REMEMBER VERY DISTINCTLY SHE STOPPING AT OUR HOUSE ON HER TRIPS. THE MONEY SHE HAD COLLECTED WAS TIED IN A KNOTTED HANDKERCHIEF [NO HANDBAG] AND IF SHE NEEDED SOME CASH SHE HAD TO UNDO THE KNOT.THE BULKY ITEMS YOU SEE ON HER HORSE ARE THOSE FARM PRODUCTS.
  • AS LADIES DID IN THOSE DAYS ROSIE RODE HER HORSE SIDE-SADDLE. HER RIGHT FOOT WAS IN A STIRRUP AND HER LEFT LEG WAS DRAPED OVER A PROJECTION IN THE SADDLE SO THAT BOTH HER LEGS WERE ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE HORSE. THOSE BRAVE WOMEN DID NOT RIDE ASTRIDE A HORSE AS THEY DO IN THE OLYMPICS. I THINK YOU CAN SEE WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY FROM THE PHOTO.


I am so glad that I met Johnny even if we have only talked electronically. He feels like family to me. I don't think anyone will mind if I publish that picture again.



This is Rosie with her first husband, Johnny Fulton. She late married Joshua Mullins, my great grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment